Friday, December 24, 2010
Sunday, November 7, 2010
Monday, August 16, 2010
This weekend we participated in Lillehammerløpet I will come back with a update from this.
Sunday, May 30, 2010
This weekend we participated in Norways largest vintage car event. Flåklypa Grand Prix This year about 350 cars was at the start line. The cars should be from before 1970 to be allowed to start. This was a fantastic experience!! Hundreds of people was standing along the roads with flags and cheering when we passed. And the scenery and atmosphere was breathtaking. We already look forward to next years event!
Of course we took some pictures.
On our way to Lom.
The hotel we stayed at. A hotel with long traditions, and known for good cuisine.
Hmm. Looks like the guests have good taste in cars too.....
Silkesvarten ready to start.
What a beauty! Maybe if I get rich, and don't have to go to work....
100% perfect. Respect man!
A view from Bøverdalen:
400 kilometers this weekend without any problems. Cruising in normal (norweginan) highway speed is no problem for this car. The sound from the engine is like music. But there is one thing I am wondering about. Why does a 54 years old car with two carburettors and a inline six use less fuel than a car from 2010 with twohundred and fifty sensors and electronic fuel injection? Something must have gone wrong somewhere!! (and the new car is boring to drive too.....)
Friday, May 21, 2010
Last weekend I had the honor of giving a friend from the youth help with transportation at their wedding. Events like this is what Silkesvarten is made for, and the car behaved like it should. The wedding couple had engaged one of the words most famous snowboarding photographer to take pictures. And I am allowed to publish some photos from the big event. When I look at photos taken by a professional I have no problems to see the difference in quality by an amateur.
A beautiful couple in the (beautiful) car!
I love this photo!!
Maybe there will be more pictures to share with you.
Monday, May 3, 2010
Sunday, April 18, 2010
Silkesvarten came home on a towing truck a few days ago. I lost the brakes! Luckily it happened in low speed driving, and nothing is broken besides my pride. A leak from the front end of the slave cylinder on the brake booster. I do not really understand why. Now the problem is solved, and I had a really nice ride this afternoon.
This week I will spend a lot of time polishing the car.
Monday, April 5, 2010
Today my wife and I took Silkesvarten out for a drive. Nice weather and good and dry roadconditions. It is good to be back behind the steering wheel. I just have to get familiar with the effective brakes! I look forward to a new season driving the car. The first event is already 23. of april. Joseph Lucas Memorial. Starts 10. pm and is a honest to the man who “invented the darkness…..”
Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Today I mounted the air ducts to the car, and connected it to the fan/heater assembly with the large rubber tube. This was the last parts missing on the car. So I now declare the restoration completed!!
I am not so stupid that I don’t think there will be more work on the car, but from now on I will call it maintenance and upgrades.
This has been an challenging process, and I have learned a lot! I have also learned that for me one complete Mercedes Benz restoration is enough in a lifetime…. Now I look forward to keep the car in perfect condition, and to run with it at appropriate times.
As soon as the weather becomes better (no rain and snow…) I will take the car out of the garage for a photoshoot.
But I do have some photos of the air ducts mounted on the car.
Happy easter everyone!!
Saturday, March 27, 2010
I never had time to finish the air ducts for the ventilation last year, so I used the car without them. That caused the problem that the air from the ventilation system always was warm, added with a smell of warm engine....
This had to be fixed before this years season. To buy the air ducts new was out of the question!
This is how last years work ended.
Welded and grinded.
Almost ready for paint. Maybe tomorrow?
And then I had to install the windshield washer. First I had to make a mounting bracket. I had the VDO bag and a foot pump.
The bracket to the upper left.
Installed. Works great.
A close up of my rebuild brake booster.
I think the engine compartment starts to look ok. The only thing missing are the air ducts for the ventilation. Will be finished very soon…..
The next picture shows the same engine, brake booster and many other parts,installed in the donor car.
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Today I finished the reassembly. I am very proud of the result. If it works I will be even more proud!!
The power piston is mounted. It has been dipped in alcohol for a couple of days, (what a waste….) for cleaning. I used white grease with teflon to lubricate it before installing in the vacum cylinder.
And the vacum cylinder and fittings are in place.
And the characteristic blue slave cylinder mounted.
It is now mounted in the car, but I still have to bleed the brake lines. I need a helping hand, or foot, for that job..
I really hope I put it together right!!
This has been really fun work, but it needs a lot of precision and patience. I love the design of the booster!! Almost like a sculpture.